Dr. K R Suresh Bapu
SIMS hospital - Chennai
MS, MCh (Neuro)
Director & Senior Consultant – Institute of Neuroscience
• Established Micro Neurosurgery in South Tamilnadu, India and as Asst. Professor and later as Professor of Neurosurgery, he trained many young neurosurgeons at Government Medical Colleges between 1982 and 2006.
• First to perform STA-MCA anastomosis in 1984 in South Tamilnadu.
• Examiner for MCh and DNB Neurosurgery for MGR Medical University, Nizam’s institute - Hyderabad, Christian Medical College - Vellore, Tribhuvan university of Medicine, Kathmandu-Nepal
Dr. Suresh Bapu has done his MBBS and MS from Madurai Medical College. One of the first few Neurosurgeons to get training in MicroNeurosurgery under Prof. Gazi Yasargil of Zurich, Switzerland in 1981-82. Before joining SIMS Hospital he was working as Additional Professor of Neuro Surgery, Madras Medical College, Chennai and he was a visiting consultant at Apollo Specialty Hospital. He has undergone special training programs in neurosurgical procedures from various centres in Switzerland, USA and Japan. He specialised in Micro Neurosurgery of brain tumours, Aneurysms and AV Malformations.
Honors and Awards
1973 Madurai Medical College
Best Outgoing Student Award
MGR Medical University
Best Teacher Award
• Surgery for Aneurysms & AVMs
• Endoscopic excision of the Colloid cyst
• Endoscopic surgery for Pituitary tumours and skull base tumours
• Total excision of Cerebello-Pontine angle tumours with preservation of Facial nerve
• Surgery of Low-grade glioma in the eloquent brain with neuronavigation and neurophysiologic monitoring including awake procedures
• Epilepsy surgery
• Microsurgical excision of spinal cord tumours