Dental tourism is a branch of the medical tourism sector, where people travel out of their countries to other foreign countries to seek dental treatment and care.
People travel to other countries for dental treatments to get the service they need from experts at an affordable rate. Some take a dental tour to have a vacation, sightsee, and spend time in other countries.
Dental tourism is becoming more wide-spread, growing at a rapid rate and a lot of countries have ventured into dental treatments because of its growth. However, among the many countries that offer these treatments, Mexico is one of the countries with the most visits for dental tourism.
Why in Mexico?
Mexico shares a border with the United States, located in the south, and is surrounded by other countries of the Americas. The country’s closeness to its highly respected neighbor, the US, contributes to the alternative of many dental tourists. About 25% of dental tourists in Mexico come from the US, others from Canada, and other neighboring countries.
Dental work in Mexico is far more affordable and a good alternative to expensive dental care in the US. And still, you can easily make quick appointments with dentists and other medical experts without much of a waiting time.These reasons make the country a leading choice when it comes to dental tourism; many prefer taking dental tours in Mexico than most parts of the globe.
Below are some reasons why people prefer touring the country for dental purposes:
- Lower Costs: As earlier mentioned, the cost of treatment and supplementary expenditures in the country is far more affordable than that of its neighbor, the U.S. A dental tourist may be able to save 70% of funds on most of the dental procedures.
- Accredited Hospitals: Most of the hospitals and medical agencies in the State of Mexico are in full or partial collaboration with those in the United States, so they gain more recognition than those of other countries that have little or no partnership with the States. Therefore, foreign medical tourists are easily identified with the country’s dental field.
- Professional Medical Experts: Mexico, like the United States, offers medical experts to fulfill their roles in the dental health sector of their economy. And unlike the U.S., cognoscenti from different branches of dentistry in Mexico are mostly all available under one roof. All their dental clinics are staffed with fluent English speakers, as well as trained anesthesiologists, to enable proper interpretation and make the dental procedures painless.
- Quality of Services/ Facilities: The presence of labs on-site, in Mexican dental hospitals, ensures good and timely patient turnover rates. Their clinics provide state-of-the-art dental technology and apparatus which meet with international standards. Cosmetic dentistry is also one of the advantageous services offered in Mexican clinics. Roughly 90% of the American dental tourists to Mexico had reckoned its excellency in the field of dentistry.
- Additional Services: The treatment cost is made available to the dental tourist, before booking, thereby lessening or eliminating the waiting time. Some offer unrestricted hotel stay and ground transfers for selected locations. They use the same hygienic and sterilization techniques like that of the United States. The water filtration system is adequate, the referral system is used, you can get up to four years guarantee for dental services and have dental insurance as well.
The Cost of Dental Tourism in Mexico
The cost of dental tourism in Mexico can not be evaluated because it depends on:
- The price rate of dental work.
- The hospital and doctor involved.
- The treatment plan you apply for.
But either way, Mexico’s charge on dental tourism is less expensive than that of other countries, as their dental treatments are done at cheaper rates. For instance, the cost of any dental implant in Mexico is estimated at an average of about US$900 to US$1200, while that of the USA is approximately US$1800 to US$2200.
Dental Treatments Offered By Mexico
Tourists visit Mexico to get dental work such as:
- Dental implants
- Dental bone grafts
- Sinus lift
- Root canal treatment
- Dental bridges
- Dental crowns
- Tooth cleaning and whitening, etc.
Travelling to Mexico for dental work requires a visa–could be a health visa, a temporal visa issued for health reasons. Also, you need to book a dental tourism trip to Mexico.
You may need to consult with a medical tourism company to help you arrange a meeting with a hospital and surgeon of choice, assist you to obtain a health visa, and plan your trip to the country.