Eyebrow transplant is a permanent cosmetic procedure, in which extra hair is taken from other parts of the body is added to the thin and scarry eyebrow to add volume and redefine the shape of eyebrows. A cute pair of eyebrows elevate the overall look of the face. Small arched and thin eyebrows usually disappoint as no one appreciates it.
After putting countless efforts into mapping out eyebrows, but when none of them give the permanent solution you should take a turn towards eyebrow hair transplant. Keep scrolling to discover more on eyebrow transplants.
Eyebrow hair transplant’s twin name is eyebrow restoration. Mostly sparse eyebrows are due to overplucking, stress, leprosy, chemotherapy, hormonal changes, aging, skin conditions like eczema and dermatitis, thyroid, sunburn, repetitive makeup use, an overactive immune system, anxiety, compound trauma, accidents. In this procedure, hair plugs are extracted from the donor site and placed in the eyebrow regions where the growth is less.
Not only women but in men also this procedure is voguish. Typically Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technique and Direct Hair Transplant (DHT) are preferred for the transplant. The dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon usually leads the procedure. Eyebrow transplant is very safe and has minor risks and complications.
PROS AND CONS OF EYEBROW TRANSPLANT
- It clears your expressions
- This procedure gives a kick to natural eyebrow growth.
- It builds up the confidence
- Diminishes burn marks and blemishes
- Gives relief from everyday plucking and threading
- Natural appearance
- Time taking growth
- May require another transplant
- Trimming is needed
- The transplant may not show any difference and remains the same
BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER PROCEDURE OF EYEBROW SURGERY
- Have one or more appointments with the doctor before the transplant and be crystal clear about expected thickness, shape size, and arch.
- Suggest the doctor, mark the outline around your eyebrows to explain precisely.
- Note that the donor area for women and men are unusually from hair behind the ear, above the thighs, legs, armpits, or pubic area. Also, chest hair works for men for grafting.
- Leg hair is a right fit, in my opinion, is they aren’t very bushy and goes well with the eyebrow.
- Speak everything about your health conditions and medications if you are taking any.
- Discuss everything about cost and total follow-ups.
Generally, 500-1000 follicles are required for eyebrow transplants. Entire eyebrow restoration isn’t different from a scalp hair transplant. There are two trustworthy methods for hair transplants.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
- During this procedure, general anesthesia is given and some amount of sedative is used if needed. This procedure is very effective and starts giving more than 50% outcome in 3-5 months.
- The surgeon starts removing follicles from the donor site with the help of a tweezer or plucker.
- Then it is adjoined in the hole of 0.8 – 1.5mm. Small cuts are made and follicles are harvested in it.
- An incision will be closed with the sutures/stitches. The bandage is applied soon after that.
- The duration of the procedure is between 4-8 hours.
2.Direct Hair Transpalant (DHT)
- Before pursuing this procedure it is mandatory to do FUE, so this is a touch up of FUE.
- In this technique cuts and implantation are simultaneously done. The best thing about DHT is it makes the base two times stronger because it is done after FUE and fastens the hair growth after the procedure.
- We can say this is the advanced version of FUE.
- Take medicines like antibiotics after eating or drinking milk.
- Naproxen and ibuprofen are also effective.
- Occasionally you can take diazepam to get relief from stress and anxiety.
- Pain and swelling will go on its own and recovery take about 4-8 days.
- When the sun is up don’t go out or to protect your eyebrows wear a wide hat, cap, or big sunglasses.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Wash your eyebrows after 2 days of the surgery with simple water, gently apply baby soap or shampoo, use popular products like johnsons or dove babycare.
- In the donor site, do not apply any kind of chemical when the wound is fresh.
- Apply ointment or scar oils like carrot seed oil or lavender oil on the donor area.
COST OF EYEBROW HAIR TRANSPLANT
As this is a cosmetic procedure, it is needless to say that insurance doesn’t cover the cost. The patient has to handle all the expenses from the scratch ( from the first consultation to the last treatment follow up). The cost of FUE is somewhere $2000-$7000 but if Direct Hair Implant is also added then it may cost around $13,000. If expenses are high in your area then start researching eyebrow transplant in another city or in another country, it may help you save extra bucks, you never know.
SIDE EFFECTS OF EYEBROW TRANSPLANT
- Hair loss in the transplanted area
- Complications due to anesthesia
- Hair follicles inflammation
- Uncontrollable bleeding
One should never select this surgery if:
- Donor areas also have thin hair
- Alopecia areata sufferers
- Hair pulling mental disorder
- Formerly failed cosmetic surgery
- When one can see the results after the eyebrow transplant?
One can start noticing in 3-6 months if you don’t see any changes in eyebrows in terms of thickness, shape, and size then talk to the same dermatologist, he will suggest some other transplant options.
- What’s the success rate of eyebrow restoration?
The success rate is somewhere around 70-90%.
- Is microblading better than an eyebrow transplant?
Microblading predominantly involves tattoo formula. Surgeons use flex needles and double head round shading needles to make accurate inked lines which go with your natural eyebrow color (you can customize also as per your preference). This gives a natural appearance of thick and prominent eyebrows but it is temporary eventually after a few years or months it will fade. The remarkable thing is this procedure takes only 2-3 hours.
- What’s the cost of microblading in India?
In India, the cost of microblading is between Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 60,000
- How many hair grafts are required for eyebrow hair transplant?
Totally, 200-300 grafts for both the eyebrows well depends on how to think your eyebrows are and what your expectation is.
- Is it ok if we take hair from another individual for an eyebrow transplant?
If you are blessed with an identical/twin sibling then yes it is possible otherwise you have to take tacrolimus, Imuran, and similar medicines permanently.
- Is it ok to do a tattoo and piercing after an eyebrow hair transplant?
Yes, it can be done safely. But not if you are taking any antibiotics or anti-inflammatory drugs after implant and definitely not in your recovery phase after the first few weeks. Chances of infection will remain after piercing, it’s always right to go to a water pitcher after eating several spicy dishes, i.e. after complex piercing talks to your doctor about every side effect and related things.
- How many sessions are required for eyebrow transplantation?
1-2 sessions generally, but if any complications occur then the doctor may stop the session there and arrange the next one after a while.
- Is it compulsory to trim the eyebrows after implant?
Well, typically men do not trim eyebrows in their life but women do. After adding grafts/follicles your eyebrow hair will grow like your head hair or leg hair so threading/trimming becomes necessary except you like bushy eyebrows.
- Is the entire eyebrow transplant procedure bearable?
Yes, it isn’t very painful, besides, you will be kept under general anesthesia so the eyebrow region will become numb, the patient doesn’t feel the pain.
- Which is the right time to wash the donor site after eyebrow transplant?
After about 48 hours is safe to clean the donor area, until then don’t let any chemical or water touch that part.