A lot of conventional techniques that has been giving positive clinical outcomes to replace the knee has been existing since 1968.Despite that, about 20% of the patients seem to have persistent problems. To solve this, the kinematic knee replacement surgery was introduced.The kinematic knee replacement technique restores the natural alignment of the knee. Patients feel that their knee is natural and are much more satisfied compared to the conventional techniques.
“My knee was horribly deformed. With kinematic alignment, you can see that my operated leg is perfectly fine and I could walk within 3 hours of the surgery,”says a recent patient at Rathimed Speciality Hospital, Chennai.They introduced the first kinematic knee replacement surgery in India in the year 2016. The surgery is performed by a renowned Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. N. Ragunanthan. The patient also adds,”If I had gone for the regular techniques, it would have created more complexities. Kinematic replacement technique has made my operated leg perfectly straight”
- Here’s why kinematic knee replacement is better than other conventional techniques:-
- Rapid recovery: The patients who undergo this surgery are made to walk as early as 12 hours. A few of them can start walking immediately after they recover from spinal anaesthesia. Almost all of the patients can walk independently in 48-72 hours. Whereas in conventional techniques, they take about 2-4 weeks. Rapid recovery is one of the major highlights of this technique.
- More accurate than computer assisted navigation knee replacement: The cuts made for this surgery is very precise and accurate. 6 cuts are made within the measurement of 0.5 to1 mm. These cuts can be more finely tuned if needed.
- Ligament conserving surgery: The original length and tension of the ligament is preserved in the surgery. Whereas in conventional methods, 2 ligaments are released.
- No anti-inflammatory or Opiod painkillers: The recovery process is quick and generally painkillers are not required other than Paracetamol. Hence the harmful side effects of painkillers can completely be avoided.
- No blood transfusions: Since the ligaments are nor released, very minimal or no blood loss happens. So, there is no need for a blood transfusion unlike conventional techniques that require 2-10 percent.
The details of the patients undergoing the kinematic knee replacement surgery are documented before the surgery to ensure that the patient is well satisfied with their surgery.