Specialist in Gastroenterology and Hepatology
• He is a graduate of Aligarh Muslim University. He finished his Gastroenterology Fellowship training from Sheri Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, India. He has subspecialized with a clinical fellowship in advanced therapeutic endoscopy, Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) for over 1 year in one of the busiest endoscopy units in India. He specializes in endoscopic procedures including basic and advanced upper and lower GI endoscopy, Endoscopic ultrasound and ERCP. In recognition to his contribution in the field of endoscopy he was awarded with the prestigious Asian Young Endoscopist Award (AYEA) in Seoul, South Korea.
• He underwent fellowship for advance endscopic training in procedures like EUS, ERCP, endoscopic resection of early tumours (EMR and ESD), and endoscopic management of obesity at the Hanyang University Hospital, South Korea. He can perform diagnostic and therapeutic EUS including EUS guided CPN for cancer pain and EUS guided biliary drainage.
• Prior to joining Al Zahra Hospital, He worked as Head Department of Gastroenterology at Bansal Hospital which is a premiere hospital of central India with an active Liver transplant program.
• He was previously working as a Consultant in GMC, Srinagar for the last 6 months where he was instrumental in starting the EUS programme. Dr Abid Showkat has also huge experience in treatment of Hepatitis, Fatty liver, Cirrhosis of liver, Dyspepsia, motility Gastrointestinal disorders like esophageal achalasia, IBS, colonic inertia as well as common GI problems like Gastroesophageal reflux, chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain, abdominal cancer etc Inflammatory Bowel Disease patients (Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis) , His expertise also includes diagnosis and treatment of coeliac disease.
• His endoscopic expertise includes removal of polyps from esophagus, stomach, colon; placement of Gastric balloon for obesity, Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR) of large colonic or gastric polyps, resection of early stomach and colonic cancers (ESD), EUS (diagnostic and therapeutic), EUS guided CPN for cancer pain, percutaneous endoscopic placement of gastrostomy feeding tubes, dilation of strictures, placement of stents in oesophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, foreign body removal, haemostasis of gastrointestinal bleeding, endoscopic band ligation for oesophageal varices, capsule endoscopy, oesophageal and anorectal manometry, eradication treatment of Barrett’s oesophagus.
• He has over 40 publications in peer review journals and chapter books and he has delivered lectures in various conferences at national and international forum.