Consultant – Anaesthesiology
MB BCH Alexandria University, Egypt. Master Degree (MSc.) Anesthesiology. Alexandria University, Egypt.
Diploma of Anesthesia DA (UK) the Royal College Of Anesthetists, London, UK. Doctor degree (MD) Anesthesiology. Alexandria University, Egypt.
Thesis of the Doctor degree was done under dual supervision between the University of Manchester UK and Alexandria University, Egypt.
Thesis was about Acute Pain Management. Fellow of the Royal College of Anesthetists. London UK. (FRCA) Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (CCST) UK.
Consultant Anesthesiologist. Head of Anesthesiology & Intensive Care Department. Alzahra Hospital, Dubai. Founder and President of the Pan Arab Middle East Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society, a formal chapter of the ERAS Society.
• Dr. Medhat Shalabi has the highest qualifications obtainable in Egypt and in the UK. He also has his training to the highest standards in Egypt as a university staff member in Alexandria University, and in the UK as a Specialist Registrar in the Merseyside (Liverpool) Deanery.
• He presented many papers to the Anesthetic Research Society (UK) and the British Nutrition Society.
• Dr. Shalabi went through the entire training scheme in the UK. He worked as a Senior House Officer and specialist Registrar in Anesthesia, till he obtained his CCST & Specialist Registration with the General Medical Council, then worked as a Consultant Anesthetist in the UK over ten years.
• He is a regular guest speaker in many International Anesthesia Conferences e.g., The Egyptian Anesthesiology Society, Alexandria Anesthesia & Intensive Care Society, Pan Arab Anesthesia Society, All Africa Anesthesia Society, Emirates Critical Care Society, Asia Africa Critical Care Society, International Pan Arab Critical Care Medicine Society, and the World Congress of Anesthesiology (WCA).
• Dr Shalaby is a member of the editorial board of the Egyptian Journal of Anesthesia (EgJA).
• He is a European Resuscitation Council (ERC) and UK Resuscitation Council International Instructor and Course Medical Director for Advanced Life Support (ALS) Courses, and also a Generic Instructor Course Instructor (Instructing the instructors).
• He used to be an Expert member on the UK Research Ethics Committee.
• He attended many courses in Medical Law and Ethics in King’s College London and the Imperial College London.
Acute pain management.
Obstetric anesthesia & analgesia. Anesthesia for orthopedic surgery & trauma.
Anesthesia for day case surgery.
Safety and clinical risk management in anesthetic practice.
The last UK post held was a consultant anesthetist in Cambridge University Hospital (Addenbrooke’s Hospital).
He relocated to the UAE about three years ago.
Dr. Shalabi is the Founder and President of the Pan Arab & Middle East Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Society, a formal chapter of the ERAS Society.
Dr. Shalabi had excellent training for both Acute & Chronic Pain Managements. This training was done first in Egypt, in Alexandria University, and then in the United Kingdom, in Walton Centre, this is one of the centers of excellence in the UK for Chronic Pain Management.
Then Dr. Shalabi practiced as a consultant in Pain Management in the NHS for many years.