Chipped Tooth & Contouring
Chipped Tooth & Contouring
Symptoms And Signs Of Chipped Tooth
- Pain fluctuation while eating
- Gum soreness
- Spiky or pointed surface while touching the tooth with the hand or tongue.
- Tooth movement and swelling
Chipped Tooth Treatments And Repair
The treatment should be selected on the basis of damage level, its width, and extant of the crack. The following are few treatment options.
- Root cana (Link to root canal be given) - If the tooth is almost broken or more than half of its part is ruptured then a root canal is the right fit for you. Front teeth ( incisors and canines) have more chances of injury because people use it open bottles and wrappers. If not this then the last option is tooth extraction (removal). After this treatment, you will be able to eat, bite, chew, grind easily.
- Bonding (link to bonding can be given) - The empty space is covered with porcelain or resin based composite material which looks like natural teeth to match with the remaining part. Use of UV light is done to mold the material.
- Crown and Filling - Both these are done when the chip tooth is not very severely damaged but it is damaged more than a small chip. In this, a cap is inserted to bring back the original look of tooth structure.
- Dental Onlays - This procedure is a little complex as a sample of your teeth will be given to the lab and they exactly make similar looking onlays ( done for posterior teeth like molars and premolars because these teeth have more cusps) to fill up the chipped tooth.
- Porcelain veneers (Link to veneers can be given) - The thickness of dental/porcelain veneers resembles wafers or crisps, which are customized by coloring it with tooth-like substance and stays for a longer time, around 25-30 years.
- Fragment reattachment - When a broken piece of the tooth is still available then keep it in a bottle of milk, carry that thing to the dentist’s office and give it to the dentist he/she will reattach it by using flowable composite resin.
The chipped tooth extends many tooth injuries and if it breaks deeply then damages the root of the tooth. It is caused due to :
- Playing sports like cricket and football without wearing occlusal splints or mouth guards.
- Irregular brushing and flossing
- Frequent biting candy and hard foods
- Deep cavities and decay
- Teeth grinding or bruxism (mostly while sleeping)
- Injuries caused by accidents
- Hit with solid substance like ball or stone
- Amalgam tooth fillings
- Old age
A little breaking or rupture is painless but if more than 50% of tooth chips then it may cause inconvenience while biting or causes nerve pain
More about Treatment
In a chipped tooth a portion of the tooth’s biting/grinding surface cracks and breaks, thereby affecting tooth enamel predominantly. It happens when a person engages in activities like opening snack packets or soda cans by pressurizing teeth.
Except if in fact it induces annoyance, many individuals snore handling chipped or cracked tooth. This really can usually not be great as a tooth was chipped, and it truly is in peril for more chipping, cracking, and splitting up. An inordinate quantity of framework loss towards your enamel can wind inside the reduction in their cracked tooth and may weaken the tooth rendering it simpler for that processor to grow and crack.
When your chipped tooth demonstrates the nerves during a tooth, then you would possibly see greater tooth sensitivity and also discomfort when chewing gum or once the tooth is susceptible to exceptionally hot or cold foods and drinks. This type of cracked tooth isn't debilitating, however, nevertheless, it needs to be analyzed with a dental office. you would possibly require a crown or maybe even a dental-only to renew the shape of your tooth and also prevent additional hurt or decay. In tooth, quite a few their tooth biting/grinding area fractures and cracks, thus influencing teeth primarily. this happens when an exclusive participates in actions including opening bite soda or pliers cans from pressurizing the tooth.
Cost Of Chipped Tooth
- The cost of a root canal is between $1000-$4000.
- Dental bonding cost is between $50-$500 per tooth.
- Crown’s cost is $400-$2000.
- Onlays cost is $300-$1500
- Porcelain Veneers - $500-$3000
- Fragment reattachment - $100-$600
The insurance company perhaps cover some percent of the cost that depends on your insurance provider.
Self- Treatment Options For Chipped Tooth
- Short-term fillings like Orafil-G can be applied at home and are less costly, stays attached for 1-2 months.
- Take anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen and Tylenol.
- Use occlusal splints or mouthguards to avoid grinding or bruxism.
- If the chipped tooth is right side then eat soft or semi-soft foods with the left side.
- Floss regularly 2-3 times
Side Effects Of Chipped Teeth
- Acid reflux
- Long cavities
- Enamel wears
- Overexposure of tooth surface
- Early age teeth loss
When the shape of the tooth is uneven due to accidents or natural growth then the tooth contouring procedure is very beneficial it is also known as enameloplasty as mostly enamel of the tooth gets attacked.
Procedure Of Tooth Contouring
- Doctors use a drill to extract mini enamel to carve it precisely and to make size and shape uniform. To give the final touch tooth is polished.
- Tooth contouring is preferred when front teeth break.
- The whole procedure takes 30-60 mins.
- No or very mild pain will be experienced.
Pros And Cons Of Tooth Contouring
- No extra or multiple sessions are required.
- It prevents overcrowding of teeth
- Corrects the structure
- As it is polished, one need to put lesser efforts while cleaning the teeth
- It isn’t a perfect fit if your tooth/teeth are heavily chipped/broken and have big unevenness.
- Only accident based imperfections are covered under insurance for rest, the cost will be out-of-pocket.
1. What’s The Cost Of Tooth Contouring?
The average cost is between $30-$500.
2. Is Tooth Contouring Harmless?
If your teeth are wide and thick then tooth contouring is harmless and thoroughly suggested. For thin tooth slight risk of nerve damage is there.
3. How Convenient Is The Procedure?
As procedure repairs, only shallow parts of enamel, tooth contouring isn’t discomforting at all.
4.How To Prevent Chipped Tooth?
- Apply clove oil
- Have calcium-rich food in your meals.
- Go for oral health check-ups once in a while.
Top Doctors For Chipped Tooth & Contouring Treatment
Choose specialists in a country
- More Countries
Top Hospitals For Chipped Tooth & Contouring Treatment
Choose hospitals in a country
- More Countries