Mouthguards quickly give relief in snoring problems. It comes in various shapes, sizes, colours. Without further ado, let’s discuss its types. Deficiency of nutrients can also cause teeth clenching mostly less calcium, vitamin B5 and magnesium can lead to this problem.
Mouthguards are protectors, prevents teeth grinding, clenching from mouth injuries while playing sports and during sleep apnea.
Mainly mouth guards have three different types.
- Custom Made Mouth Guards
Dentists usually make custom made mouth guards. The dentist will take an impression of your teeth with the help of mould and accordingly make mouth guards which fits perfectly to your teeth and mouth. This type is considered to be the safest and convenient as it is specially made for you and measurements match precisely. It doesn’t come out while sleeping especially when you are going with rough patches like snoring and sleep apnea. However, they are more costly then other two types but talk to the insurance provider, if they cover it then it will be a great discount for you.
Custom made mouthguards are further, subdivided into 2 categories:
- Vacuum made custom made guards – This subtype is very comfortable as it doesn’t cause any sort of disturbances while speaking and breathing. But one of the non-ignorable drawbacks is, they stay in shape for a short period only.
- Pressure Laminated Custom made guards – Athletes can use this because it doesn’t move very easily and remains intact for a longer time.
- Stock Mouthguards
You can buy these mouthguards from the local chemist department and sports stores.
Stock mouthguards aren’t costly and come at a reasonable/fair price. But along with big benefit, it comes with a number of disadvantages such as it comes in limited size also becomes loose over time and becomes an obstacle while talking/breathing. Typically 3 sizes are available in this, tiny size, midsize and king size. As they are slightly loose, they don’t hurt soft tissues, so this is a remarkable advantage.
- Boil and Bite Mouthguards
This is the competitive substitute of stock mouthguards. People can buy it from sports, retail and drug stores. You need to boil this mouthguard until it becomes soft and flexible and then you can put it in your mouth, just warm it more few seconds otherwise your mouth can burn. Boil and bite mouthguards come in one shape only.
Teeth grinding’s another name is bruxism. This thing usually activates in the night which causes problems like jaw pain, damages temporomandibular and temporomaxillary joints, headache, gum soreness. It caused by anxiety attacks in night and if you have missing teeth ( old aged and kids) then you are prone to this. Mouthguards can come to the rescue to prevent further damage, as it separates upper teeth and lower teeth, so grinding eventually stops.
Stock and boil-bite aren’t appropriated for teeth grinding(bruxism) as can come out anytime so go to the dentist and give an order of custom made mouthguards buy two so that another can help in future. But initially use, boil and bite once you get confirmed, that you have bruxism then buy custom made. Some people also have the problem of teeth grinding while they are not sleeping and this is known as diurnal, but it is uncommon.
Symptoms Of Teeth Grinding
- Ear pain
- Insufficient sleep
- Wearing teeth because of pressure
- Constant headache
- Rigidness in jaw muscles
Mouthguards For People With Bruxism And Braces
After a few days of braces, you will forget teeth grinding or teeth clenching. So braces do help in vanishing the habit of bruxism. Always select little tight mouthguards for braces as loose mouthguards damages wires and brackets of braces. Also, its like killing two birds with one stone, as mouthguards reduce soreness caused by braces. Boil and Bite is a decent option for people with braces. For your information, people with invisible braces cannot wear mouthguards as they are delicate than other braces can wear down easily. People who just have braces on their upper teeth can select mouthguard for lower teeth and vice-versa.
Mouthguards For Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is the chronic condition if not treated on time, it can lead to major problems like heart attack and stroke. In this condition, the person skips breathing while sleeping and some miscalculation occurs in passing oxygen to the brain. So mouthguards help if a person is at an early stage of sleep apnea. By keeping the airway open, allowing oxygen to enter and by moving tongue and lower jaw forward, it ensures proper breathing. Use custom made mouthguard as this the only option on which you can rely. This mouthguard also helps in reducing snoring.
Side Effects Of Dental Night Guards
- Severe or mild tooth pain
- Pain in the jaw bone
- Gums start swelling and bulging
- Irritation and inconvenience (initially)
- Unusual taste in the mouth
How To Look After Your Mouthguards?
- Brush your teeth before the bedtime or while putting on mouthguards, if that’s too much at least floss if you had a long day.
- Wash your mouthguard with either plain water or add some mouthwash in it. Make sure you use normal water, hot or lukewarm water changes the appearance of a mouthguard.
- If you see cracks or holes in a mouthguard, then it is time to bring a new mouthguard.
- Take mouthguard with you in the dentist’s consultation, so that dentist can check the overall condition of that.
- Don’t put your mouthguard anywhere on the table or desk keep it inside the case or a box.
- How to stop grinding teeth while sleeping?
- Reduce the proportion of caffeine ( tea and coffee) and chocolates in your diet.
- Stop chewing pencils end part and pen’s caps.
- Learn self-control
- Injection of botox may help, first talk to a dentist before selecting this option.
- Teeth grinding occurs due to stress also so find anything which is capable of throwing stress out of your mind and body. You can try Zumba (a form of dance), Yoga, cycling, can go for a walk with kids or pet, try anything which you love the most.
- How to stop clenching teeth?
Well, this will sound weird and funny at the same time, but try to speak “N” alphabet as loud as possible and use it daily in your conversations frequently. Or else, you can put your index and middle finger on the jaw and start massaging in the circular motion, this also works.
- What is the cost of night guard?
Cost of custom made mouthguard is between $150-$350
Cost of stock mouthguard is between $10-$80
Cost of boil and bite is between $5-$80
Some mouth guards are very pricy and can range from $500 to $800 also.
- Can a night guard shift your teeth?
Cheap and the ones with huge discounts can possibly shift your teeth and increase the gap. But custom made doesn’t, they are costly but has very fewer side effects.