Reason for Philtrum Reduction
- To improve the appearance of the face
- Help raise the upper lip angle to give a projected lip
- Heps shortening the midface without major orthognathic surgery
- Reduces complications of skin laxity in the upper lip
- It serves as a visible solution for any asymmetry in the lips
- It is used in addition to other treatments
Who is Eligible?
People who can undergo a philtrum reduction includes
- People with a philtrum longer than 2cm.
- People with a drooping upper lip.
- People with upper lip skin laxity due to orthognathic surgery.
- Those with long midface.
- Those with dental and palatine complications.
- Congenital upper palate prominence.
- Inflammatory diseases that cause mouth sores should avoid doing philtrum reduction as it can increase your chances of infections.
Surgery Preparations and Procedure
When preparing for philtrum reduction, certain preparations should be considered
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for at least a month before the reduction
- Reduce activities that makes you open the mouth widely or too much
- Bring your medical reports to ascertain your medical history
- Anesthesia is first administered
- Then a horizontal incision is made in the pink inner portion of the lip to minimize scar
- Excess fat is then removed from the lip for what is required and the place covered up with stitches.
You will be moved to the ICU to recover and pain relievers will be administered to you to help you manage the pains.
You might be able to leave on that day, but if your surgeon thinks otherwise, you may stay in the hospital for days so you can be monitored closely.
Complications of Philtrum Reduction
Just like every surgery, possible complications are doing a philtrum reduction and they include:
- Blood loss
- Slow wound healing
- Reactions from the anesthetic
- Possible nerve damage.
You may have to visit your doctor if symptoms persist after two weeks.
Recovery time could be between one and two weeks on the average. During this period, the sutures will fall off on its own. You may experience swellings and redness in the area, but compare to other cosmetic surgeries, it has the shortest recovery time.
Philtrum Reduction Cost
The cost of lip lift varies from country to country and depends on the specialists and hospitals involved.
There is no estimated overall cost of philtrum reduction, but hospitals and surgeons, with an insight on which country you want to have this surgery, can help you make estimates when you contact them.
More about Treatment
The philtrum is an attractive part of the face and an elongated lip can reduce a person's confidence. Upper lip lift surgery is a process of reducing and shaping your lip to look more attractive.
The philtrum is an attractive part of the face and an elongated lip can reduce a person's confidence. It also helps in giving individuals their distinct identity. When the philtrum is longer than normal, it becomes difficult to expose the teeth when smiling, which could make one appear senile, and could make the mid-face seems extremely long.
A lip lift is what you just need to correct such defects and give you a boost in your looks and morale.
What is Philtrum Reduction?
The word ‘philtrum’ is used to describe the middle depression on the upper lips and it plays a vital role in determining the shape of the upper lip. Hence, philtrum reduction, also called upper lip lift, is the process of reducing the philtrum by removing some tissues from the lower or upper lips either for anesthetic purposes or as a medical recommendation.
- What does philtrum mean?
A philtrum refers to the vertical depression in the middle region of the upper lip.
- What is the ideal length of a philtrum?
The ideal philtrum range includes 11-13mm for females and 13-15mm for males. One can measure the philtrum using the length of their iris, as the philtrum is equal in length to the iris.
- Does Philtrum get longer with age?
Philtrum gets longer as one gets older. The lengthening of the philtrum can serve as an indicator of old age. When one gets older, the nasal tip drops and the chin loses its.
- What does the shape of my philtrum indicate?
In ancient times, the philtrum was used by the Chinese to tell fortune and know the health of the reproductive organ as thee Philtrum can indicate several things, such as
- The show and deepness of the philtrum could reflect the health state of the reproductive system and organs.
- The sex of your offspring
- Sudden rash on the philtrum may show complications with the reproductive system.
- A female with oblique philtrum might have issues with childbirth and infection during childbirth
- The philtrum tends to flatten in females when the uterus is being removed.
- Is Philtrum attractive?
The shorter philtrum is very attractive and to improve the appearance of the face, unlike long philtrum.
Top Doctors For Philtrum Reduction Treatment
Choose specialists in a country
- More Countries
Top Hospitals For Philtrum Reduction Treatment
Choose hospitals in a country
- More Countries