Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 Diabetes
It is a chronic condition in which the pancreas forms insulin but cells cannot use it appropriately as a result, the body doesn’t respond to insulin and becomes resistant towards it and sugar sticks to the blood and increases the glucose level. Type 2 diabetes is widely known as adult onset diabetes as it is mostly present in adults only. About 90% of people are suffering from Type 2 diabetes hence, it is very common. According to the report, about 25% of people with the age of 60 and above have type 2 diabetes and usually it targets people whose age is above 40.
Also, 1 out of 10 adults has diabetes. One of the reasons is obesity, people with Impaired glucose tolerance and prediabetes have double chances of Type 2 Diabetes.
Symptoms of type 2 diabetes slowly develop and in early phase the body doesn’t show symptoms at all, but when sugar levels become uncontrollable, symptoms begin to appear.
Sudden Weight loss - Inspite of eating more and calorie-dense food, whole body’s sugar is in blood and other parts such as muscles, breaks fat and stores energy. It gives a red signal to the people who haven't changed their diet yet.
Extreme hunger or Hyperphagia - Though one eats big portions, after half an hour or 45 minutes, again starts feeling hungry and it is an intolerable one when people start eating sugary foods their blood glucose level again increases.
Often get thirsty - It doesn’t matter whether the day is hot, cold or normal, a person with type 2 diabetes crosses the daily water intake requirement because the mouth gets dry and saliva doesn't stay in the mouth for more time.
Repetitive urination - This is directly linked with thirst as you drink more water, frequent urination is obvious.
Blurry vision - Type 2 diabetes is very chronic as it directly affects eyes also by making vision blurry, a person can’t see properly and sometimes specs and contact lenses help.
Infection - Body surrenders against various infections. Starting from viral infection to yeast infection all happen if glucose level doesn’t stay stable.
Foot Issues - Hard lumps, deep, popped, fluid-filled and blood blisters all can happen in type to diabetes and takes awhile to fade.
Neuropathy - It destroys the nerve tissues and cells. Mostly starts hurting hands and then moves towards the leg. Peripheral Neuropathy targets people maximum times. Symptoms include tingling, weakness, burning sensation, etc.
Retinopathy - Type 2 diabetes and retinopathy are connected with each other as the eye's retina starts dysfunctioning causing damage to the blood vessels.
Kidney problems - When blood pressure and blood sugar both boosts, directly leads to kidney damage also known as nephropathy ( harms nephrons).
Mixture of many things when linked with each other causes diabetes.
But more likely to happen in:
- The people whose family members are mother, father, siblings, grandparents have diabetes, chances of that person twicely raising due to the presence of DNA particles. As per the survey, one can inherit even more risk if your father is having type 2 diabetes.
- Less active and more sitting on the couch also prominently develop diabetes type 2 in a number of people. Thus, a sedentary lifestyle can make you more susceptible to type 2.
- A body filled with blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol and heart diseases doesn’t take much time to catch type 2 Diabetes.
- Occasionally, gestational diabetes can occur in women during pregnancy phase or after delivering a fat baby.
- When beta cells break and don't join for a longer period of time, type 2 diabetes takes place in the body.
More about Treatment
TYPE 2 DIABETES RISK FACTORS
Numerous risk factors align with type 2 diabetes. Some are listed below :
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - Found in women only, PCOS is interlinked with type 2 diabetes through insulin, its situation is similar with type 2 diabetes, both are insulin resistant. So 50% of the women who are in their 40s or 50s who have PCOS are either affected with Type 2 Diabetes or are on edge.
Depression and stress hormones - Yes, mental health is as important as physical health, overthinking and depression are undeniable risk factors of type 2 diabetes.
Ethnicity - Targeted audience is Alaska Native, Latino, Hispanic Americans, Native American,etc.
Age - Half of the people in their 40s or 50s have type 2 diabetes.
TYPE 2 DIABETES TREATMENT
It is manageable disease and diet plays a prominent role in keeping your overall body healthy and to keep blood sugar level in normal range and journey begins at the time when you take your lifestyle seriously.
Diet for Type 2 diabetes :
- Fibre rich food and food that contains equal amounts of protein, carbs and healthy fats.
- In protein one can eat chicken, meat, eggs, lentils, garbanzo beans, black beans - controls diabetes level
- Healthy fats include almonds, cashews, pistachios and other nuts, olive oil, coconut, etc
- Complex carbs - Maize, Barley, brown pasta, etc.
- Vitamins - Fruits and veggies ( less sugary fruits such as oranges, kiwi, apples, avocado are recommended )
- Replace white sugar with brown or coconut sugar and jaggery powder.
What to avoid :
- One should avoid sugary soda, cakes, dates, mangoes, bananas.
- White bread, white sugar, etc.
Although people with type 2 diabetes possess less energy they can still indulge in low intensity exercises such as walking, lawn mowing, planting flowers and shrubs, yoga, brisk walking, etc.
Avoid a sedentary and inactive lifestyle.
Lots of people have cured Type 2 diabetes with just a healthy diet and exercise.
TYPE 2 DIABETES MEDICATIONS
GLP 1 Analogs - It gives signal to liver and and liver puts a break on passing sugar passing, it is given in the form of injection and gives a decent result.
Thiazolidinediones - When insulin becomes insensitive the dose of rosiglitazone can help.
Acarbose - As carbs have glucose in it so to balance the carbs in the body acarbose is the key.
Biguanides - It contains metformin and normalizes blood sugar level.
TYPE 2 DIABETES DIAGNOSIS
Tests of Type 2 and type 1 diabetes are almost similar, but some extra tests such as lipid profile and random blood glucose test are in addition to this.
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test - In this patient is given a dose of glucose orally before 2 hours of the drinking and after two hours of drinking to compare the results.
Lipid Profile - It calculates High density lipid cholesterol and low density lipid cholesterol along with triglycerides.
TYPE 2 DIABETES PREVENTION
- Frequent visiting at doctor’s office for check ups and follow ups via mail or call and implementing that in the life, can help prevent Type 2 diabetes
- Eating as per doctor’s designed diet plans.
- Giving yourself time for relaxing and exercising
- Less stressing
- By becoming a member of a laughing club or by spending time with family.
All these things can easily prevent type 2 diabetes.
1. Is there a cure for type 2 diabetes ?
No, it may go temporarily but can strike back anytime. Once it enters the body it's kind of impossible to remove out Type 2 diabetes but its control is in the patient's hand.
2. Describe prediabetes.
Prediabetes is something which increases sugar level but doesn’t enter in the phase of diabetes so we can say it is an early stage of diabetes if precautions are not taken then.
3. How often should one check diabetes levels ?
Minimum 1 time in a day and if a person has around 300 or more then definitely 4-5 times maximum limit is 7-8 times.
Top Doctors For Type 2 Diabetes Treatment
Choose specialists in a country
- More Countries
Top Hospitals For Type 2 Diabetes Treatment
Choose hospitals in a country
- More Countries